Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Charity

I went to see my Dr. at the John Kenyon American Eye Institute today for a checkup. The results were good. I can see 20/40 with correction now. And he will start taking stitches out in 2 months when I go see him again.
Today's topic: Charity. I was reading a Christian book called A Christmas Wish by Betty Neels. The main female character, Olivia, and her moyher had reduced circumstances and had to move in with Olivia's maternal grandmother. She took them in, but she never let a day go by to let them know it was a financial burden on her. And she didn't just tell them. She told everyone she happened to meet. And not just that. She berated Olivia constantly for her lack of marketable skills and her inability to attract a man and get herself married. Through it all, Olivia bit back angry retorts and did not lower herself to that level. She kept up good spirits for her mother also.
Now, real charity is not what most people think it is. If you look in 1 Corinthians, 13, the whole verse is an explanation of charity. Real and true charity is the pure love of Christ. It is the pure love that He has for us, and it is also the pure love that we can have for Him and each other if we choose to. If you have a sincere desire to serve Him, and you serve others in order to serve Him, you will find that your capacity to love your fellow brothers and sisters grows. True charity is freely given. It does not begrudge the receiver. It does not hold anything over another's head. It is freely given , and cheerfully, and does not expect recognition or reward.
When I give loving service to those in need it makes me feel so much better. It lifts my mood, makes me smile, laugh, and makes my day. Plus it makes me grow closer to that person, and the Savior. He performs some of His greatest miracles through us. Even when you have severe health problems and other problems that limit what you can do, everyone has something they can give to uplift and help another. It could be something as simple as a smile and 'thank you' to a cashier. I've been there, trust me, they need the kudos. You could take a card to a nursing home one day when you're passing by and ask to be directed to a resident who has little or no family visits. Just talk a few minutes. If you find yourself depressed or frustrated about your problems, find someplace in your community, or someone who needs a little something you can give. Even if its just a few minutes of your time over the phone. It will be mutually beneficial in so many ways.
Peace, Smile, and I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment